Pages

Friday 28 September 2018

Welcome back to this blog 28 September 2018

To my valuable readers,

Over the past year, since the passing away of my uncle, Dykes Momoka Angiki, I decided - out of respect - not to engage in any shape or form of journalism. It was my form of respect during this time, to mourn the loss of someone, whom I had greater respect for him as an uncle, relative, father-figure, professional colleague, mentor, advisor and friend.  
Our bond was a special one. As a young kid, who spent my entire childhood years growing up in the village and subsequently moving to the city as a teenager, the new environment was difficult. But my desire to gain an education led to my decision to move from my simple life style in the village to Honiara to attend junior high school and later employment.

My uncle played a huge role in guiding me throughout those early years of my life in the national capital. A time, I also witnessed his unwavering dedication to the development of journalism and media freedom in the country. 

During those years, I accidently joined the media industry, a career path that I had never dreamt it would be possible. But fate led me here through the hands of God and the help and advise of a young professional broadcasting journalist.

As a nephew, his loss was unbearable.

In our Polynesian culture - the least I could do is to cease working as an act of respect. Through thick and thin, he was always there for me. He was my staunchest supporter and harshest critic.

We struggle against all odds in a nation where we were among the first in our ethnic Polynesia minority group of Mungiki and Munghaba (Bellona and Rennell Islands) to join the mainstream news media. It was at a time when Melanesian prejudice, racism, discrimination and other isms against our Polynesian ethnic minority group were and are still a problem.

It worsens during the ethnic conflict in Solomon Islands between 1998 to 2003. The conflict was between two ethnic Melanesian armed militia groups: Guadalcanal militants and Malaita armed militia. But we were targeted by the armed criminal thugs, and their leadership and some of their educated elites due to our ethnic background and our determination to report the truth.

Being from one family and working in the nation's mainstream media was both a pride and a curse. We were easy targets because of our profile in the local and regional media. Despite the challenges, regular harassment and death threats by armed thugs and crooked politicians, we hang on to our dear lives and career with pride and dignity. At different stages of the conflict, we were accused, harassed, bullied, attacked and ridiculed publicly by armed militia leaders, opportunists, corrupt politicians and their criminal armed thugs, sympathizers, lawyers, cronies and even colleagues. It took a personal toll on us and our family. The situation was and still unbearable. But thank God, we'd never allowed corrupt politicians, armed thugs and their cronies to intimidate us into submission and compromising our professional credibility.

Despite this huge sense of loss, I will continue to ensure that his legacy remains a shining light to my own career path and professional aspirations. As of today, I've decided to re-engage with my professional side of life, journalism, after a year now. Hopefully with time, the pain will subside. In memory of my dear uncle, Songi ou ba'e kipo'ungi.

'Aue (thank you).

No comments:

Chose your language